It’s that time of year again where we spend our hard earned pennies on thoughtful gifts for our loved ones. But maybe there is a person (or people) in your life that are hard to buy for. I know that in my life I am a hard one to buy for because quite frankly I don’t really need much!
But even for the pickiest of people you can still find them a gift. Strings, tuners, pedals/effects and straps are some of the common gifts that are never a bad thing to give to a musician anytime of year!
Here are a few other options to get your holiday gift ideas rolling:
- Studio Time: If you really want to give the ultimate gift of hard work and dedication to the bassist in your life, you can purchase some studio time.
- New Bass: This can be a great gift if you have a lot of extra dough to throw around or if there is someone who really wants to start playing but doesn’t have an axe. This is the perfect time of year to go to your local guitar store in person or online and see if they have any specials.
- Fret Markers: Along with the new bassist, these fret markers can be really helpful for learning the fretboard. You can go on Amazon and check out the selection they have (there are even glow in the dark ones!)
- Books: Many beginner, intermediate and advanced bass and music theory books on the market. Hal Leonard and Alfred Music Publishing have a plethora of music theory and bass guitar books. Here are my top picks:
- BEGINNER: I really love Billy Sheehan’s beginner and advanced books (http://amzn.to/2kpsxTo)
- INTERMEDIATE: All About Bass: A Fun and Simple Guide to Playing Bass Book & Online Audio (http://amzn.to/2BBJf5t)
- ADVANCED: Bass Fretboard Basics: Essential Scales, Theory, Bass Lines & Fingerings (Essential Concepts) (http://amzn.to/2AzBxt8 )
- Lessons: This is also a special that is usually offered by local guitar stores around this time of year. Free lessons can be included when purchasing a certain instrument or as a promotion for just signing up. You can never go wrong with learning some awesome bass.
- Gift Cards: Unsure of what to get? This is the easiest thing to give and have the musician in your life be able to choose what they want. Guitar Center, Sweetwater, Musician’s Friend, and your local guitar stores are excellent options.
Now that you have an arsenal of items to purchase let the buying begin!